MDX Solutions is both a tutorial and a reference guide to the MDX query language. It shows data warehouse developers what they need to know to build effective multidimensional data warehouses. And it teaches users what they need to know to access and analyze data to make better business decisions.
The Second Edition provides 200 additional pages of new material covering both changes in the MDX language itself as well as major changes in its implementation with the latest software releases of Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 and Hyperion Essbase.
After a brief overview of the MDX language, the authors move directly to the tutorial, providing practical examples of MDX in use. They show various techniques using MDX to access data and calculate results. They also cover more advanced techniques, like aggregation, query templates, and MDX optimization.
The appendixes provide a handy reference guide that users can refer to after completing the tutorial. The companion Website includes sample MDX code with sample databases which can be used to practice what they've learned.
· A First Introduction to MDX
· Introduction to MDX Calculated Members and Named Sets
· Common Calculations and Selections in MDX
· MDX Query Context and Execution
· Named Sets and Set Aliases.
· Sorting and Ranking in MDX
· Advanced MDX Application Topics
· Using the Attribute Data Model of Microsoft Analysis Services
· Using Attribute Dimensions and Member Properties in Hyperion Essbase
· Extending MDX through External Functions
· Changing the Cube and Dimension Environment through MDX
· The Many Ways to Calculate in Microsoft Analysis Services
· MDX Scripting in Analysis Services 2005
· Enriching the Client Interaction
· Client Programming Basics
· Optimizing MDX
· Working with Local Cubes